Creating a private brand of champagne can be great fun – and of course enjoying the results is enjoyable too – but like many projects, it is complex and requires careful management. Here are just some of the questions that need to be answered – the list is not exhaustive!
Fortunately, you don’t need to worry about most of these because I can guide you through all 35 questions and more. Nevertheless, the questions will probably highlight plenty of issues we will need to consider.
The Champagne (what level of knowledge do you have about champagne?)
- What kind of champagne maker do you want to work with: NM, RM or CM?
- Do you understand the difference between these three?
- What type of champagne are you looking for: Blanc de Blancs, Blanc de Noirs, a blend, rosé champagne, vintage champagne…?
- How many bottles will you need this year and in 5 years’ time?
The name and design (how advanced and detailed are your plans for the brand identity?)
- Have you already designed a logo, a colour scheme and a visual identity the for the brand?
- Do you have in mind a name for your brand?
- Have you done any research into the name to ensure that it is not already registered?
- Is your preferred name likely to be approved by the regulatory body in Champagne?
- Which quality of cork do you require - there are at least 4 different grades?
- Do you want a generic cork or a branded cork?
- Do you want branding on the top, sides or bottom of the cork?
The plaque and wire
- What colour capsule?
- Do you want branding on the capsule?
- If so, a logo or text?
- Will the text fit in the available space?
- What colour wire do you want?
- What length of foil?
- What colour of foil?
- What finish to the foil: matt, polished, textured? ( there are dozens of possibilities)
- What weight of foil? (a heavier material may feel more prestigious but is more expensive)
- Do you want an easy-open tab or not?
- Do you want branding printed on the foil?
- In which language?
- What size and shape label?
- Will your preferred size and shape fit on the champagne maker’s labelling machine?
- Have you already had a label design created?
- What colour, type and quality of paper?
- What type of printing?
- How many colours need to be printed?
- Is gold foil or other metallic printing involved
- Do you need a back label? (the answer is probably, Yes)
- Do you want a different type of label – metal for example?
- What colour glass? (Green is the most common, but other colours are possible)
- Do you require a standard, or special, bottle shape?
- Would you consider a plastic sleeve on the bottle to achieve the effect you want?
To find out more and to discuss an idea you have in mind please contact me at